Welcome To Our Community!
Are you concerned about America? Join our community, where you can post your own articles and content, without leftist censorship. Team up with us today and make your voice heard!
Join Us!

Trump Awards Posthumous Medal Of Honor To Army Hero

TPcat78

Mar 13, 2018
Nickarama | March 28, 2019

Via Daily Wire

Sand Aijo is a former U.S. Army Sergeant and Infantryman. He attended the March 27, 2019 White House ceremony in which President Trump posthumously issued Staff Sergeant Travis Atkins the Medal of Honor. Aijo was present in Iraq on June 1, 2007, when Atkins sacrificed his life to save his comrades, including Aijo, by tackling a suicide bomber. Below is an account, exclusive to The Daily Wire, of Aijo’s memories of Atkins and that fateful day.
_

My name is Sand Aijo. I was the gunner in my good friend Travis Atkins’s Humvee while we were deployed in Iraq. On June 1, 2007, I witnessed Travis’s heroic actions that saved my life and the lives of two others.

From an early age, I dreamed to become a soldier. While many in my family have served, I had a close bond with my grandpa who was an Army Infantryman during the Korean War. I enlisted in the Army when I was 17 and left for basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia, in June 2005 — two weeks after graduating from high school.

I later arrived at Fort Drum in New York in December 2005, where I was assigned to 2nd Platoon, Delta Company, 2nd Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team of the 10th Mountain Division. I quickly realized it was exactly where I belonged.

I met Travis in the summer of 2006, not long before we deployed to Iraq. I think destiny brought Travis to Delta Company. An unexpected situation necessitated replacing my first team leader with Travis, who stepped in without hesitation. This may not seem like a big deal to civilians, but imagine this: Travis had spent months training one team for combat. He had established the required rapport to manage that team effectively in a combat zone. Then, he was asked to give all that up to lead a group that had never met him. I don’t know why he agreed to do that, but if you knew Travis, his decision wouldn’t surprise you. Travis believed in something greater than himself, and he knew the Army needed him as a leader in Delta Company. Travis knew there were young men he could help and lead in one of the world’s most hostile environments. One thing is clear: Travis was a natural fit for our group. It didn’t take long before he was part of the family.

Keep reading…