Welcome To Our Community!
Are you concerned about America? Join our community, where you can post your own articles and content, without leftist censorship. Team up with us today and make your voice heard!
Join Us!

Sound and Fury

Conservative Angle

Conservative Angle Administrator
Staff Member
Feb 22, 2018
conservativeangle.com
For a few weeks, I’ve struggled to find a reason to write. Maybe everything that could be said has been said—in which case, I’ve nothing to regret. Or, maybe my original thoughts were slain and buried by the nonstop stream of digital communication beamed at me through texts and emails. Certainly many beautiful words still survive within the old books that sit on my bookshelves, my rows of neatly-arranged neglect. At any rate, it’s not without some dejection that I’ve been at a loss for words.

Isn’t it strange that words can escape us in a world that is brimming with communication? We are surrounded and hounded with all manner of speech. The “marketplace of ideas” is still a busy place, after all, and words— however dumbed-down they are—are still its currency. No topic is left uncovered (though a few are now censored), and all sorts of obscure ideas find an outlet and audience. I recently found out that there’s an entire “hobby horse” culture—grown ups or teenagers spend hours prancing around on stick ponies. Mental illness or sport? You decide.

Our political class is overflowing with words, and mostly dumb ones. It’s no longer necessary to have a real grasp of how life works—human nature, lessons of history and economics are mysteries hidden from the blind who lead the blind. We are therefore treated to middle-school logic and propaganda on the left, or good ideas trapped in a limited vocabulary on the right. Pragmatists on the right, wisely recognizing a solid binary when they see one, will put Elements of Style away and vote for Trump anyways.

For our other trials and troubles, there is no shortage of experts, consultants, life coaches, authors, podcasters, and therapists. Our slick technology now gives podiums to even the least talented influencers; it’s easy to find the dregs of therapy culture on Instagram, Youtube, and Facebook. Such expertise—yammering, in most cases—is prolific now, convincing even soccer moms and housewives to try their hands at the trade. Don’t worry, you don’t have to be too serious to qualify; being a “life coach” is now as popular as selling essential oils or vitamins, at least for “boss moms.”

No inbox is left empty—not even that of the recluse; without even trying, one receives several emails or text solicitations per day, often personalized to impress those whose indiscretion smells like cash. Want to look at a website? First, supply your email, phone number, and spend a couple minutes closing pop-ups. Don’t want to do that? No worries, your phone will still be recognized and followed anyways. Every store you’ve visited, every discount you sought, every bill you’ve paid—all your searches and scrolls—left a trail of crumbs that will be followed by the hungry hounds of e-commerce.

If you’re unlucky, a political candidate has also spammed you with unwanted and dramatic text messages, perhaps multiple per day. The candidates and their various proxies are unwanted suitors and stalkers, spamming you with sad stories and fearful pleas. With each deleted text, they grow more agitated and desperate. Therefore, you will be drowning in their words, too. Yesterday, a couple republicans texted me—in an offended tone— that they were about to give up on me but would give me a final chance to donate. I’m conservative, too, but I don’t respond to low-IQ appeals.

All this verbal noise is supplemented by the usual, everyday stuff—and for those of us with kids in school, that means four or five school missives per day, either in email or in various apps. Unfortunately for the well-meaning authors, such emails often go unread now. I don’t need to know what’s coming up in math this week, because it’s not my math class—and I don’t like math. There’s no need to send me digital copies of next week’s science unit. (Helicopter parents have encouraged this mess, and they deserve a separate essay.) Nonetheless, teachers now send regular announcements about their lesson plans, even sharing special classroom moments or inspirational thoughts, so we must at least pretend to read these words, too.

Read the Whole Article

The post Sound and Fury appeared first on LewRockwell.

The post <a href=https://www.lewrockwell.com/2024/09/no_author/sound-and-fury/ target=_blank >Sound and Fury</a> appeared first on Conservative Angle | Conservative Angle - Conservative News Clearing House

Continue reading...