Welcome To Our Community!
Are you concerned about America? Join our community, where you can post your own articles and content, without leftist censorship. Team up with us today and make your voice heard!
Join Us!

Getting ready for a CAT 4 Hurricane in South Carolina

JustKidding

Sep 3, 2018
I may not be around to engage with my pals here on Conservative Angle/Political Derby for a few days so if I disappear know that we are without power, etc. Tara Jane "schooled me" in preparing for this monster storm because she has been through many in her state down south. She offered great advice. Thank you, lovely Lady. And, yes, I did go to the liquor store today to sort of ease the pain when absolutely necessary. Lots of good food going on, too. Tomorrow I will bake a few goodies for "handsome Harry" to enjoy and then we will sit...and wait....for the show to begin. We have big trees on our property. It has been raining this week so the ground is wet. "Flo" (Florence) will add to that and we are concerned but "unafraid." "Retired and Unafraid." Sounds like a good book title. Sadly, I will have to take down my seven bird feeders but rest assured that the minute the coast is clear they will go back up! I worry about my sweet birds. Additionally, I have a granddaughter who is determined to be born this week albeit three weeks early.

Love to all of you!!

JustKidding

Sep 3, 2018
Thanks, JP!! I have a nephew who lives on the coast here and he "thinks" he is going to ride it out. I have a feeling he will change his mind and if so he will come here with us.

Latest update is that North Carolina will get the big hit. More than likely the hurricane will be changed to a category 5. This particular storm will add insult to injury by "stalling" on land for 3 to 4 days dumping enormous amounts of rain. The right front quadrant of the storm will be in North Carolina close to Virginia. "Flo" is not kidding.

Reactions: JPConservative

Sheila

Sep 6, 2018
Take care Diane, that sounds major.... weather is pretty dismal here, I expect more from that hurricane hitting Carolinas.

Reactions: JustKidding

Conservative Angle

Conservative Angle Administrator
Staff Member
Feb 22, 2018
conservativeangle.com
I may not be around to engage with my pals here on Conservative Angle/Political Derby for a few days so if I disappear know that we are without power, etc.
We know exactly what you may be going through. We were wiped out by hurricane Irma, this time last year. This is a picture of our street after the flooding had receded. It was three feet higher (up to the mailboxes) before this picture was taken.

Flooded Street.jpg

Flooded home.

Flooded Home.jpg

Good luck and God bless!

JPConservative

Sep 2, 2018
Littlehampton, UK
There are times I am glad I live in Sussex on the South coast of the UK. However, whilst not technically a hurricane, I do recall the great storm of 87.
Fortunately, I lived in a small town just North of the South Downs which provided a bit of protection. We were without electricity for several weeks. The transport system was severely compromised for some time. I recall my dad trying to drive out of our hometown of Petworth and only getting a few miles due to roads being blocked.
Thankfully, there were only 18 deaths.

Jayhawker

Sep 5, 2018
I hope you will be fine and I'm glad Tara Jane gave you good advice. My sister-in-law moved to Florida fairly recently and is learning all about hurricanes. In Kansas, we worry about tornadoes. I live on the edge of Tornado Alley. Either one can be horribly destructive and this one coming your way is supposed to be the worst ever.

Jayhawker

Sep 5, 2018

By KATHLEEN PARKER Washington Post Writers Group September 11, 2018

PAWLEYS ISLAND, S.C.

Tuesday morning, I did what millions of people have done in hundreds of places for centuries. I picked the few favorite items that I could take with me before abandoning my home to the fates of an impending disaster.

They’re only things, I told myself. Which, intellectually, we know to be true. But emotionally, we become attached to our things, and I confess to this material weakness. I don’t just own things, as one owns a sofa. I collect things of beauty, utility being the least of my concerns.

That said, if I may share, my approach to collecting is strictly passive. Meaning, I don’t seek things out but instead wait for them to find me. I’d rather do without than invite the ordinary into my cave.

Lamps are a particular weakness of mine. Indeed, a former longtime neighbor has promised that when he delivers my eulogy, he’ll carry a lamp to the lectern. He claims that every time he looked out his window, I was walking down the sidewalk with a lamp. Despite an inarguable surfeit of tabletop fixtures, an antique black-and-white lamp recently whistled a catcall as I strolled past and I married it on the spot. Intended for a desk, it’s shaped from metal in the form of an elephant. The base is indented with spaces for a fountain pen, pencil and a small bottle of ink. Did I need such a folly? Absolutely not. Do I adore it? Immensely.

Among other treasures I left behind: a plaster of Paris torso of my then-10-year-old son; a 3-foot tall, white porcelain baby Bacchus; a large painting of a blond woman wearing red glasses, sitting on a beach. These small accoutrements to an aesthete’s life are irreplaceable — sui generis. But, then, they really are just things, I told myself as I drove inland in the pre-dawn darkness toward the higher ground of our family home in Camden.

Winding along South Carolina’s blue highways, first light revealed a dense, ground fog. I tried to make out the familiar shapes of hay bales that dot the fields in formations that seem both random and intentional — a field mouse’s Stonehenge, perhaps. Other landmarks greeted my passage — an especially pretty church, a series of canopied drives leading to well-kempt farmhouses, a distressed abandoned barn.

Thinking of Hurricane Florence as she ambled toward the Carolina coastline, my senses seemed more attuned to details that I tried my darnedest to memorize. I turned on the radio to catch the latest and only then realized what day it was — Sept. 11. Was it possible that 17 years had passed? Goes to show: Tempus fugit, no matter what you’re doing.

The juxtaposition of the storm and the terrorist attack gave me a few kernels for thought, which, given the demands of the day, I managed to expand into the providential. My headlights had just skimmed a roadside sign with hand-lettering that said: “Pray for our Country.”

I hadn’t noticed it before. South Carolina’s rural roads mostly feature crosses to mark the spots where loved ones have died in auto accidents, or placards that say, “Jesus Saves.” I keep meaning to stop and photograph them, but for various reasons never do. Next time, I tell myself.

Finally, the day’s eyes are wide open. I arrived in Camden, went to my office and turned on the small TV set that sits on my desk. President Donald Trump was speaking in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where Flight 93 went down. For the passengers who sacrificed themselves so that others might live, there was no next time. Suddenly, my beautiful things embarrassed me. Neither those who died nor the survivors fret over the things left behind, of that much I’m certain. Only people (and their dogs) matter — the living, breathing, loving, grieving — and the dying.

Certain things cannot be replaced, and I’ll be sad if destruction and loss visit me this week. But ultimately, things are ornaments to our mortality, touchstones that affirm our reality and protect us, however briefly, from the alternative of no-thing. Coincidentally, my husband recently texted me this quote from the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche: “We have art in order not to die of the truth.”

When Florence finishes with us, human need necessarily will displace the longing for our lost things. But in their stead, we may rejoice in the beauty of the human spirit, which, ever resilient, will get back to the business of art in good time.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/syndicated-columnists/article218226515.html

Tara Jane

Sep 5, 2018
I've made it through three Hurricanes - one was finally down to a tropical storm when it came in. The other two could have blown us off the map. We left with the first one (we were newcomers to Florida) - we sat out the other two. But if I had a "Cat 2 - 4" coming at me again, I would hit the road. The biggest problem is the "wind gusts". The steady wind wasn't too alarming but when those gusts hit and the trees bend to oblivion - it scares the heck out of you. And we watched while 6 trees hit the ground. Thank heavens they didn't hit the house.

It's scary folks. Our area is now flooded with people from NC and SC and Northern Georgia. All people who live on the coastline. And, if you live on the coastline - board up all your windows if you don't have Hurricane shutters. Place sandbags as high as the lower portion of your house. Gas up your cars - take important papers with you and GET OUT OF DODGE. You don't want to see those big waves coming at you.

And, Diane, I always took down my birdfeeders - but birds are pretty smart. They can survive - also squirrels are pretty smart. Just remember your life is the most important thing - other things you can replace. But not your life.

JustKidding

Sep 3, 2018
Thanks everyone. We had no real issues to deal with. As they seem to say in situations like this "we dodged a bullet." However, many along the coast of North Carolina were wiped out.

Tara Jane, when we put the bird feeders back up and replenished their fancy seed and cakes they seemed to be mad at us. It took them several hours to get on the feeders as if they were punishing us for their being inconvenienced. Before long, I had counted 13 cardinals, six titmouse, six Carolina wrens, two doves on the ground and one squirrel.

Thanks for the good advice and we should continue to pray for our neighbors in North Carolina who have lost everything they own in this hurricane.

Reactions: Conservative Angle

Jayhawker

Sep 5, 2018

On FOX News Sunday, it was reported that Fayetteville, NC, by Ft. Bragg, was being evacuated for people living within 1 mile of Cape Fear and Little River. The effects of the hurricane are being slowly felt across the entire state. I have family and friends who live in NC.
Evacuations Ordered In Fayetteville, Cumberland County, Wade: PD

The evacuations are for residents who live within a mile of the banks of Cape Fear River and the Little River within Cumberland County.

https://patch.com/north-carolina/fortbragg/evacuations-ordered-fayetteville-cumberland-county-wade-pd

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/931635156686901249/A48VG_ws_bigger.jpg[/IMG] [B]Fayetteville Police[/B]‏Verified account @[B]FayettevillePD[/B]

*****MANDATORY EVACUATIONS***** There is a mandatory evacuation in place for citizens of Cumberland County, City of Fayetteville, and the town of Wade. All residents within one mile of the banks of the Cape Fear and Little River should leave IMMEDIATELY

JustKidding

Sep 3, 2018
It all seems like a very bad dream. I cannot imagine what a struggle these people are experiencing. Wish I could do something to help them.

Tara Jane

Sep 5, 2018
Diane, I, like you, think this has got to be a nightmare for all these people. I can't believe that this storm is hanging around for so long. The best thing all of us can do is pray for all of them. When I see all these people, their children and their pets, my heart hurts for them. And, I can't believe that there were some idiots that tried to loot a Dollar store. I guess crime doesn't stop even during a crisis.

JustKidding

Sep 3, 2018
Diane, I, like you, think this has got to be a nightmare for all these people. I can't believe that this storm is hanging around for so long. The best thing all of us can do is pray for all of them. When I see all these people, their children and their pets, my heart hurts for them. And, I can't believe that there were some idiots that tried to loot a Dollar store. I guess crime doesn't stop even during a crisis.
I watched the "clip" of people looting the Dollar store and when the owner was called by the police he told them to "let it go." There are two ways you can look at this. One, is that the owner would be filing an insurance claim and the loss would be greater if the store was being cleaned out. The other scenario is that the owner hoped that people who were breaking in and taking food and supplies really needed them in a time of real crisis. Who knows? All I know is that I agree with you 100% that we must pray for the safety of our North Carolinian families. They are going through pure hell.

Thanks for your words of wisdom on my birds! They are back in full swing now. I counted 13 cardinals out there today plus the usual interlopers.....actually, regulars plus hummingbirds on their feeder. So wonderful to see my birds, Tara Jane. You have no idea how much I enjoy them every day. By the way, I do believe they were punishing us for taking the feeders down but we have so many of them we didn't have an option.

Tara Jane

Sep 5, 2018
Diane -- We were spending fortune on bird food because, at night, the raccoons were climbing up the post and cleaning out the leavings from the birds. So, we installed a fitter (found it at a bird store. They told us to install it around the post and was it. We did so. The next day you could see where the raccoons had tried to get up the post. Nice footprints! But we didn't have any problems after that. Now, we have a deer who comes at night and helps herself to the remaining grub. And, she is beautiful! So what the heck!!!

JustKidding

Sep 3, 2018
Diane -- We were spending fortune on bird food because, at night, the raccoons were climbing up the post and cleaning out the leavings from the birds. So, we installed a fitter (found it at a bird store. They told us to install it around the post and was it. We did so. The next day you could see where the raccoons had tried to get up the post. Nice footprints! But we didn't have any problems after that. Now, we have a deer who comes at night and helps herself to the remaining grub. And, she is beautiful! So what the heck!!!
Tara Jane, we have "baffles" on the poles (high on the poles) but the squirrels somehow managed to scale them so I went on a blog and after reading through a long list of what didn't work for birders....a man replied "WD40" There was not ONE response to his post because it works!! We spray the metal poles with WD40 and watch the little devils slide down the poles. I counted 9 squirrels in our back yard one evening....and now we are rarely see one of them.

We have deer, too, but they don't wander into the yard. They tend to stay in the "forest" but we can see them from time to time. We do have a "yard" snake now "Old Joe." I am told he is a good snake who feasts on cotton mouths and the other bad ones around here. We have a coyote who is so beautiful he looks like a red fox. Food must be good around here for him. We've spotted him only several times. Blue Heron lives behind us in the woods and visits the pond in our front yard plus Egrets fish in the pond, too. We have a Bard owl who sits in a tree from time to time watching the feeders....maybe that's why our squirrels are gone...hmmm